Friday, October 26, 2012

We're Walking, We're Walking*



Our second snowfall since I moved here only a few weeks ago!  Nothing says Happy Halloween like snow, folks!  Although my daily walks are getting more and more complicated, I still enjoy them.  I think I'm part hiker, part sherpa at this point because the weather changes create more and more "just in case" gear for me to have with me at all times.

As it is, every day I pack my work clothes and a morning snack.  Additionally, I always carry my raincoat (scrunched at the very bottom of my pack) as well as an umbrella (just in case), which is a good thing because it rained yesterday and C didn't have an umbrella so she stole mine.  Now that it is going to be...precipitating...more often, I need to take extra care packing things.  So today my notebook, phone and ipod went inside two ziplock bags in my pack.  And my clothes went inside a - wait for it - garbage bag.  It was the only thing lightweight and waterproof that I could think of.  It worked, but I walked around smelling like Febreez all day.

I look like a super model, as you can imagine.  Under Armor pants (like lightweight long johns) and a shirt, with my rain pants and rain coat on top, and snow boots.  Let's not forget earwarmers (bonus - they double as a sweat band!  Am I sounding EVEN MORE FASHIONABLE now?!) and gloves.  When I feel like I'm overheating, I take the gloves off.  That doesn't last for long - maybe a minute? - and I'm yanking them on again.



The stairs! They are killing me. 

I have to stop every two floors so I don't pass out.  That's a lot of stops because it's a lot of floors. 

At first, I tried to strike a cool pose as I stood there, in case anyone opened the door or came up/down the stairs and saw me.  But then I was like, Oh screw it.  I bend over at the waist and just wheeze.  By the time I get to my floor, it takes me about 2-3 full minutes, wheezing to myself in the empty stairwell, to get my breath back enough to walk in the office.  My coworkers take one look at my beet-red face, and my windblown hair piled on top of my head, and just go back to their work.  No embarassment here.  Out here, everybody has tattoos and looks a bit...outdoorsy.  I mean that in a good way.  I think these are my people.



I wanted to take pics of the snow on my way in because it was majestic.  There's just something about how much quieter things are when there's snow all over the place.  But alas, my phone was wrapped up tightly - an added bonus is that I miss early morning calls from HQ.  I just want to tell them - Hello!  Remember the whole time difference concept?  It may be 9:00 a.m. your time but it ain't official office hours for me yet, you crazy people.

I'm very professional like that.  You know, as I hoof it to work while schlepping my entire life on my back.



Now that I work in such a cool location (take that any way you want!), I try to take advantage of all the restaurants around here by running out and grabbing lunch.  Today's was chicken stew and a pepper biscuit - be still my beating heart - it was so good.  I'm like, I walk all the time, why am I not losing weight?!?!  Oh well, let me just go get a Pumpkin Spice Latte, you know, since it's so cold outside.

**sigh**

Guess who's flying out here right now for a long weekend?!  I can't wait.  Plus, we only have one more room to tackle and the apartment will be complete.  And by "we" I mean "G" since my part is done.  I'll be like, I love you, I've missed you, here's a box.  Now start unpacking.



*on P!nk's new album, there is a song called "Walk this Way," blatantly about the walk of shame.  It's incredibly addicting and as part of the chorus she kind of talks and says, "We're walking...we're walking."  Now, no matter what, that goes thru my head on my commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment