Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Books, Books, Books

First of all, we had the strongest winds last night.  No rain, no snow - just incredibly strong winds.  I'm from a tornado-prone area originally, so this got my hackles up and I ended up staying awake and monitoring the weather channel to see if I needed to hop in the bathtub or shut myself inside the interior closet.

Is this a normal thing for out here?  I couldn't find any type of commentary that suggested it was a big deal.  The weather report seemed normal:  57 degrees, windy.  I was like windy?  That's all you've got? To describe frikkin' tornado weather?

After a rather dry season, I read a cute book this week:

Source

Emily Giffin's lastest book is the story of a woman (Marian) in her thirties, living it up in New York.  She has the perfect job, the coveted apartment and the perfect man.  Until.  (You knew there was an 'until' coming, right??)  The daughter that she had and gave up for adoption 18 years ago shows up on her doorstep.

The beginning is a bit klunky but it quickly takes off and Giffin does a great job of writing from multiple points of view; each chapter alternates between Marian and Kirby (the daughter).  She tackles themes that I appreciate as well:  Adoption (I'm half-adopted; it's a long story), the concept of "Family," what it means to have a 'perfect' life, and how the choices we make set us on certain paths, but those paths are not permanent.

It is also a nice window into high school, and young romantic love.  This would make a great beach book, plane book, or just an "any old time" book.  It is cute and deep and addictive and funny at the same time.

Read any good books lately?  I'm on the lookout...

No comments:

Post a Comment