Monday, May 28, 2018

Kindness Confetti

I kind of love that we live in a time of memes, cliches, bumper stickers and car stick figure families, and all that. The other day I was working with a student whose notebook cover read, "Spread kindness like confetti." Part of me is totally into sayings like that and finds myself reflecting on them quite often.

The other part of me is cynical and prefers only to deal with people, kindly or not, from a great distance. Jesus loves this part of me. He's super proud.

But then today. In the midst of all our adulting over the long weekend - what G now refers to as The Great House Unscrewing - G called me to the door (he was out working in the front yard) and said he had a gift for me. He was interrupting my 3 hour Netflix break and let's just say I stomped up the stairs with the teensiest bit of annoyance.

And.


It's not what you're thinking. No, G did not present me with flowers. He moved out of the front door way and there was my neighbor from a few houses down, with a vase full of beautiful roses from her yard. I was like, Um, Wut.

She said, "My mother loved roses and these were her favorite colors. I just wanted to give you some."

That was it. I was speechless and then I was just gushing. I thanked her profusely and promised to get our own yard in order soon so she wouldn't be staring at the mess that it is now - which was ironic because G was out there working on it for like, ever today. She just laughed and shook her head and went back to her house...

I mean. I can't even.

Cynicism? What cynicism? Made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment