Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Embracing the Chaos

There are times when I need to set goals and conquer my circumstances and work on self-improvement and manage everything in sight.

And then there are times when I just need to embrace the chaos.  This is one of those times.

How I spend half my life: in the car between tutoring sessions.
One time, BFJ and I were talking about moving and she said, "Moving sucks.  There is nothing fun or pleasant about it and once I realized that, it was a lot easier to handle."  That always stuck with me and I've thought of it over the last few weeks - not that my life sucks.  Just in the context that life is chaotic and is going to be chaotic from now until forever and instead of digging in my heals and trying to resist it, I need to find a way to thrive within it

When I left the 9 to 5 job, I surrendered a routine schedule.  My schedule is now different every day of the week and it's not all that predictable from one week to the next, as my students and their families have summer commitments and so do I.  This new unpredictability is a really fun aspect of my "new" life but it is also unsettling for a Type A personality who craves just a little consistency.

Instead of going to an office every day, I pack up my life every morning and spend the majority of my day in the car in between tutoring sessions.  I pack my meals, my homework, my lesson plans, my fun reading, my paper calendar (Visual person - must have it in addition to my phone), a honkin cup of water, and a DDP for any caffeine emergencies that may arise.

And I drive and I sit. 

Enough said.
One of my major goals from now until the end of time is to get moving as much as I can during the day in order to combat all this sitting time.  Exercise comes pretty easily for me.  Now if only I could stop it with the Haagen Dazs every night.  And the extreme cravings for 90,000 Chipotle burritos.

I have a 5K on Saturday.  Somebody help me.

How do you embrace the chaos?  Any tips?  Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment