Thursday, September 5, 2013

Wishing You Red

{Cue the song Superstitious by Stevie Wonder, which I love.  You are welcome for getting that stuck in your head.}


The Chinese are a superstitious lot.  I know that, if read in isolation, that sentence makes me sound narrow-minded and simplistic (and maybe judgmental) but, I mean, they really are

Years ago in Hawaii, I used to work with an older Chinese woman and, let me tell you, I thought of her every day on this vacation.  She used to follow me around the office, re-arranging things behind me (feng shui).  I don't know if she thought she was being subtle, but she wasn't.  I was very confused by her, but found her bossy and intimidating, and she never explained herself, so I spent a lot of time assuming she was a little cuckoo.  All the red tassles she used to hang everywhere, all the careful positioning of items and office furniture, all the demands she made of us, her coworkers.  They are now crystal clear.


To the Chinese, red is a lucky color, the best.  It symbolizes luck, prosperity, and longevity.  So, you know, everything is red.  I should have asked our tour guide why this is, but I didn't (maybe: red is the color of blood, which is life?).  Even the taxis are red.


Apart from the colors, feng shui is a deep belief.  To the Chinese, the essential elements of wind, earth and water are constantly shifting.  In order to stay in tune with these elements and set yourself up for success, it is important to examine the feng shui of your life regularly; how are things placed in accordance with each other?  Are they balanced?  Are you blocking energy or allowing it to flow?  That kind of thing.

This belief in balance is huge.  In markets and stores, I quickly realized that there was no way to buy just one of something that is supposed to come in pairs (door knockers, dragons).  I left several stores because I thought the merchants were trying to dupe the American foreigner to make a buck, until our guide explained that it is bad luck for them to let me buy a single item that is designed as part of a set.  The dragons and the door knockers, for example, are perfectly balanced: one is male and one is female.  They are meant to bestow luck and prosperity and longevity on my household, so why in the world would I divide that luck?  Take my chances on breaking that balance and harmony?  That would make no sense. 

Instead of duping me, the merchants were trying to keep a balance, both for their luck and for mine.

So I bought sets.


This belief plays out on a grand scale as well.  In Singapore we toured the Financial District in the marina.  Our guide pointed out one of the biggest and most flourishing buildings; it was built by a Chinese businessman, finished in 1995.  According to feng shui principles, he waited for three years to open it, in order to ensure that it was presented to the world at the most beneficial time.

Also in Singapore, several years ago the government decided to build a cross-island train system.  Before starting this project, of course, they consulted a feng shui master.  This is not a good idea, he told them, it will disrupt things all over the island and scatter the energy.  It would be better not to build.

They thought this over, but decided they needed the train system.  What could they do to restore balance?  The master told them it would be best if every person in all of the city state carried an octagon with them at all times.  They were baffled; Singapore is made up of all kinds of ethnicities and religions that have managed to live in harmony despite their many differences.  Asking them to carry around something that may conflict with their beliefs (the Chinese only make up 70% of the citizens) would not be smart.

So they changed the currency!  The Singapore $1 coin is a gold octagon.  Also?  They symbol of one of the most popular banks was changed to an octagon.  Now every citizen carries one around and the balance is restored. (!!)

Crazy, right??


Listening to the guide tell stories, I would just smile and shake my head.  But I noticed that when picking out gifts for friends and family, I chose red.  Purposefully.  Every time.


1 comment:

  1. At least you didn't go there and make fun of mentally-challenged Chinese people. You know, like you did in Hawaii. In Kailua.

    ReplyDelete